Legal Education and Training in the UK
Education and training of any discipline is critical in order to sustain and develop ones professional career. The same applies to the field of law as well. In a bird’s eye view, legal education includes civic and community education as well. This aspect to legal studies is important to augment legal awareness among individuals. The duration of time required to complete a legal education and training program may vary from a few months to several years, purely depending on the position that an individual is aiming for. There are two main aspects that can be examined in this capacity:
- Legal Education
- Judicial Training
Legal education in the United Kingdom is divided into two main systems. The first is the common law system of England and Wales and the second is the hybrid of common law and civil law followed in Northern Ireland and Scotland.
Legal education comprises of two main areas:
- Legal Training:
Legal Training guarantees that the legal and judicial restructuring and modifications contribute to the changing attitudes and perspectives of lawyers and the common citizens throughout the world. Due to this very reason, legal training should be considered a critical part of legal and judicial improvement and modification strategies that are based on a particular country’s rules and legal regulations and reflect a country’s cultural and societal values. Legal education fortifies professionalism and professional relationships, build confidence, helps in reaching a consensus and setting a momentum for further reforms. Legal education also aids in improving the on job performance of legal professionals, boosts service quality and kindles the respect of the public. Keeping these benefits in mind, legal training programs must be designed in order to enhance performance and encourage values of neutrality, professionalism, capability, efficiency and service to the public.
- Continuing legal education
The continuation of legal education and training programs improves and renews the skills of legal professionals. Different programs for the legislature, judiciaries, executive branches, prosecutors, public defenders, legal professionals, media and the common public can also encourage different values. These values include objectivity, professionalism, capability, effectiveness and the value of community service and support for legal and judicial modifications.
Judicial autonomy usually requires a well trained and appropriately educated judiciary. A judiciary must be able to address fragile issues which concern liberty of people, property and access to public and community services. It is essential for judges to be well prepared for all the cases and legal matters that come their way. In several countries, judges are responsible for reading up on latest legal developments and enhancing their knowledge and skills base on account of their personal effort. Even though conferences and seminars are held, these cannot be relied upon as the system is not properly organized. In the recent times, continuing judicial education is seen as a prerequisite rather than a choice.
Judicial training includes several types of subjects and disciplines that are structured to improve the knowledge and change attitudes alongside. In some countries around the globe, training helps judiciaries to develop into an independent and unbiased dispute resolution system. In other countries, judicial education also emphasizes on changes in attitudes in order to improve the judicial reliability and eliminate any biases that may hinder judges from passing fair judgments. Whatever the case may be, managing this training program is a tedious and critical task as it involves a fair share of responsibilities and risks. Across the globe, some countries have agreed to the view that it is the judiciary that should have the final say in the overall control and direction of judicial training. In other countries however, training is provided at law school or judicial training institutes that are managed by the local ministry of justice.
Role of legal education and training in today’s world:
According to the Bar Standards Board in the UK, the approach that will be taken towards legal education and training will ensure that the following training requirements are fulfilled:
- Preparation of law and judiciary trainees for competent practice at the beginning of their professional career
- Promotion of innovation in teaching and learning styles and techniques
- Offer flexibility in the trail of education and experience needed for Bar
- Minimize any hindrances in access to the profession of law
- Ensure training so as to maintain competence throughout the practitioner’s career.
In order to keep the community and public within the realm of the rule of law, it is critical for all the professionals of the field to play their part. This is especially significant in communities where there is a process of rapid change across all levels of the society. For the legal profession to perform to its maximum capacity in a society, the teaching and training of law should incorporate the following points:
- Disclose the procedure through which the law can evolve. This can be done by promoting methodical and considerable changes in the society which is leading to improved standards of living.
- Put stress on the study of rules, institutions and events that are related to the rights of the community, individuals and groups.
- Instil in the students, the rules of law and their significance. Emphasis must be laid up on the increasing needs and demands of the society and subsequently the social justice that must prevail. Students should be encouraged to adopt qualities that encourage action upon public welfare and community service.
In order to achieve these milestones, the following steps need to be taken:
- Countries that do not have the provision of sophisticated law enforcement infrastructure, their priority should be to develop this sector and encourage individuals to join their hands together for community service by practicing law as a profession.
- Steps where the instructors and teachers of law do not restrict their activities only to teaching law. They must also indulge in training of individuals on the principals and practice of law.
- Technical preparation of students is not sufficient. Teachers and students of law must also make an effort to shape their characters so that they develop feelings of social responsibility.
Where can Pravo help you?
As part of an organization which encourages legal education and training, Pravo can help you with the following aspects:
- Regulation of the legal profession in the United Kingdom
- Organization of the legal department and management structure
- Strategy development for corporate legal departments
- Management of legal services
- Commercial processes and organization structures for corporate legal departments
- Legal personnel structuring and role of the HR in the following:
- Business development: Approaches towards strategic and tactical development
- Role of legal services in mergers and acquisition and business development in Eastern Europe and CIS
- Legal training aimed at any legal or non-legal professionals who want to gain knowledge of the UK legal system and ultimately business in UK.
- Enrolment and admission to the leading Law Schools and Legal Institutions in the United Kingdom.
Our next legal training session:
Title: Legal Practice Optimization. Effective Management Models
Dates: 14 – 19 December, 2018 in London, United Kingdom.
- Regulation of the legal profession in the UK
- Legal department organization and management structure
- Development strategies for corporate legal departments
- Legal service management. Models overview
- Commercial litigation procedures and organization structures for corporate legal departments
- Personnel structuring. Grading, motivation, leadership and compensation. The role of HR
- Business Development: business approach to strategic and tactical development
- Mergers and acquisitions. The role of legal services: independent business development strategies in Eastern Europe and the CIS.
- This legal training is aimed at any legal and non-legal professionals who want to learn or expand their professional knowledge of UK legal system and get a grip of UK business.
“Thank you for your fun, wonderful and enriching presentation on giving good sense of UK legal systems at the event…Your ability to focus on the high-impact aspects of good legal presentations and address our specific legal questions that are unique to giving memorable and effective in-house legal presentations are invaluable to me. Your enthusiasm for the legal topics and concern for the audiences’ learning were also palpable and led to a highly motivating atmosphere.”
Louise from Steel & Matters LLC, Russian Federation.
“Very helpful for polishing my UK legal skills and knowledge! Thank you so much! Compelling!”
Ali from Bridge Construction, Dubai.